- Born 9 February 1891, Kaikōura, North Canterbury, New Zealand
- Died 14 September 1914, Saint George’s Channel, New Britain, Bismarck Archipelago
- Killed In Action died on active service, 14 September 1914, Saint George’s Channel, New Britain, Bismarck Archipelago.
- Last rank Able Seaman
- Service number 7474
- Served In Royal Australian Navy, HMAS AE1 (submarine)
- Next of Kin Mrs Catherine Reardon (mother), Kaikōura.
- RememberedPlymouth Naval Memorial, reference: 4, United Kingdom.
Drowned in the accidental loss of vessel, the HMAS AE1, went missing while patrolling off the coast of Duke of York Island, Australia, and has never been found. He was the first New Zealander to be killed on active service.
Further note of interest: 103 years years after the HMAS AE1 disappeared without trace with John Reardon aboard, the submarine was located on 20th December 2017, "One of the most significant discoveries in Australian navel time history".